For web developer documentation, see:
If you are a Chromium developer, read on!
Here's how to get a demo Service Worker up and running:
- Open the demo at https://googlechrome.github.io/samples/service-worker/basic/index.html (source)
- Open the Inspector. Things are logged there later on.
- Try visiting Cleveland and get a 404. Go back.
- Click the 'Register' button, watch the Inspector console, then try visiting Cleveland again... oooh.
- Go to chrome://inspect#service-workers and click on Inspect to open the Inspector and debug your Service Worker.
Running it locally
- Clone the git repo
- Navigate to the samples/service-worker/basic folder
- Start a local webserver (see below)
- Open http://localhost:8080/index.html (or whatever path and port you set up.)
- Feel free to edit the JS and try some new things!
How to run a local server
On a system with python:
$ python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080
In order to guarantee that the latest version of your Service Worker script is being used, follow these instructions:
- Configure your local server to serve your Service Worker script as non-cacheable (cache-control: no-cache)
- After you made changes to your service worker script:
- close all but one of the tabs pointing to your web application
- hit shift-reload to bypass the service worker as to ensure that the remaining tab isn't under the control of a service worker
- hit reload to let the newer version of the Service Worker control the page.