Roadmap / Potential Projects
List of potential future projects (aka wishlist) for the layout team. Relative priority in square brackets, based on impact, cost of implementing and feedback from real-world web sites and web app teams.
In Scope Projects
The backlog is now maintained in monorail, please see the layout-backlog hotlist.
Out of Scope
Potential projects that have been considered and rejected as being out-of-scope, either due to the projects itself being premature, due to it being better suited for a different team, or not considered important enough at the moment.
- Viewporting and Infinite lists Too early, silk TLs need to discuss this further.
- String of HTML into Fragment This is job of scheduler team.
- When layout happens, calcDrawProps and sendInvalidations runs long Falls onto the paint team.
- Repaint storm elimination & invalidation Tackled by Slimming Paint.
- UIWorker / Animation Proxy Too early, silk TLs need to discuss this further.
- Expose what triggered a layout in devtools Show in devtools which line of JS caused a layout, which nodes generated an invalidation, why it took as long as it did. Falls on the devtools team.
- Element onPaint callback Falls on the paint team.
- HTML Canvas Falls on the GPU or graphics team.