UI under development. Designs are subject to change.
Trackpad Multitouch (Indirect manipulation)
- 1 finger: traditional pointing
- 2 finger: traditional scrolling
- 3 finger horiz.: three fingers in a row (usually ring/middle/index)
- 4 finger horiz.: four fingers in a row (usually pinky/ring/middle/index) - may be hard to disambiguate horizontal swipes on small trackpads, so we will overlap many gestures with the three finger variants
- 1 finger edge: one finger moving in and out of the trackpad bounds
- May require hardware support.
- Vertical gestures may be problematic because of limited space.
- 3 finger group: three fingers in a circle (usually
thumb/middle/index [or ring])
- Due to people resting their thumb on the trackpad, many of these gestures are problematic, particularly pinch and rotate gestures. Swipe gestures are generally pretty usable.
- 4 finger group: four fingers in a circle (usually thumb +
- Problematic as above. Swipe gestures are acceptable.
* **one finger** — cursor * **two** fingers — content manipulation * Sites can override all two finger gestures passed to the content area * Pinch - defaults to page zoom * Rotate - defaults to nothing * Translate - defaults to scroll * **three** fingers horizontal * tab switch * **three** fingers up — into overview * **three** fingers down — focus panels * **four** fingers up — into overview * **four** fingers down — focus panels * **four** fingers horizontal — window switching * **three** finger group translate — back/forward or tab switch (reverse of horizontal's behavior) * **three** finger group rotate — problematic because of two finger with anchored thumb * **one** finger left/right edge in — back/forward * **one** finger left/right edge out — forward/back, or sidebar reveal * **one** finger top edge in — overview * **one** finger bottom edge in — panels
* **two** fingers horizontal — switch tabs * **two** fingers up/down? — close tab * **three** fingers — switch windows * **four** fingers — window switching * **three** fingers down — out of overview * **four** fingers down — out of overview * **three** or **four** fingers up — logout
* **two** fingers = scroll current panel * **three** fingers horizontal = switch panels * **three** fingers up = back to main view
Full Multitouch (Direct manipulation)
- All content area gestures (two and one finger) passed directly to web pages
- Default behaviors for one and two finger gestures as above
- We may reserve the above 3/4 finger gestures for os needs:
- three fingers — window movement/resizing
- four fingers — overview