The animations team is an engineering team that aims to enable web developers to deliver a smoother more responsive web.
The team is responsible for maintaining and improving the animations infrastructure, correctly effecting threaded scrolling and related effects (fixed/sticky position, scroll snapping, etc) in the composited property trees, and ensuring that sufficient targeting and hit testing information is generated from Blink.
See also our concrete quarterly objectives.
- Performance - Smooth user interaction and animations (reliable 60fps on today's hardware, 120 fps on tomorrow's)
- Predictability - Interoperable animations APIs on the 4 major browser engines.
- Capabilities - Enable rich scroll and input linked effects popular on mobile applications.
The animations team is driving several ongoing efforts.
- Optimized hit testing
- CSS Scroll Snap
- Web Animations
- Scroll-linked Animations (Scroll Timeline)
We send out an ~monthly newsletter with our activities; feel free to check out our archives.
The team uses a public mailing list for technical discussions, questions, and announcements.
Email address: email@example.com
Web archives: animations-dev
We are also available in #animations on the Chromium Slack.
There are two tri-weekly (once every three weeks) meeting held over video conference on Tuesdays and another on Fridays for planning and going over results. If you're interested in participating please reach out on the mailing list or slack and we can share instructions.
The meetings follow the following schedule:
- Week 1: Planning meeting on Tuesday 2:30pm EST, meeting notes
- Week 3: Demo meeting on Friday 11:00am EST, meeting notes
Highlights from the demo meetings are shared in our ~monthly newsletter, see Activities above.
The team has a daily triage to confirm, triage, and categorize incoming bugs in these components.